Saturday, December 15, 2012

Arrangement in the Basement 9×12

My wife and I spent last week traveling with our newborn to see family so once again I am posting an older painting.  This was painted in my basement where I have my studio.  I spent some time moving a few furniture pieces around until I found a composition that worked well enough.  This is a painting focused on value rather than color.  If I remember correctly I toned my canvas with raw umber, which shows through behind the white of the wall, and for the painting I used transparent oxide red, ultramarine blue, one of the yellows, and titanium white.  For me this painting works because of its use of contrast, e.g. the one heavy object on the right balanced by the multiple lighter objects on the left, the small objects among the larger ones, the more transparent and thinly applied paint of the shadow areas combined with the thicker more opaque application of the light areas, and the overall higher key of the painting balanced out by the smaller percentage of low key areas (if I understand correctly, key refers to value, which is the spectrum from light to dark, high key = light value).

Thanks for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment